Piece done for a class. Y’know, the kinda class that isn’t really relevant to your major but they still make you take it as a first year.
THE TIME FORETOLD APPROACHES
Season 2 of Gravity Falls premieres this summer!
K guys I’m going off the air for a couple of weeks cuz it’s crunch time for a bunch of my classes and I need to focus. Catcha on the flipside suckas
NEVER apologize for using this askbox as a brain dump!
Man, I’ve rewatched Dreamscaperers more than any other episode. There’s a lot of nebulous information tucked in there that I can only assume is gonna be made clearer in the next season. Much of it’s up to conjecture at this point, especially in the way of Bill’s motives. Keep in mind I’m coming at this from the angle that Bill is… idk insane but also calculating, that he’s not just improvising this whole spiel. Best I can do is go back and walk through the episode bit by bit while I still have some free time. Anyway *cracks knuckles* let’s overanalyze this cartoon. This is gonna be kinda rambling.
· How does the whole summoning thing work? That recording from the contest implies that he’s been to like 3000 different dimensions, so gonna assume that he’s free to troll around and isn’t stuck someplace until he’s summoned. Could be that if he’s summoned he’s bound by magic or whatever to show up but beyond that he’s free.
· Takes him awhile to process Stan’s significance, so it seems that he knows a lot, but there are limitations to what and how fast he can recall stuff. Also indicates that whatever Stan’s involvement was with him in the past isn’t what was on his mind at that moment. He’s only concerned about it when Gideon brings it up. Can’t really call him omniscient.
· Why the heck does Bill even need to break into his mind in the first place? He’s got eye things all over the Shack, he should already know the combination.
· Bill has all that time while Dipper and co are setting up candles and crap around Stan to peruse his mind. But he doesn’t. He’s literally hanging around outside the dream-Shack, waiting for the Pines to come after him.
· Monologuing. Tells the Pines exactly what it is he’s gonna do. Is this egomania or is he intentionally stringing them along? Maybe he’s kinda lazy and doesn’t want to go to the trouble of ransacking Stan’s mind to get the code, so he’s setting it up so they can find it for him. Gonna go with stringing em along.
· BUT WAIT. We get to the part where Bill disguises himself as Soos. Backtracking a little bit from the part where Bill reveals himself, I’d say that he made the switch sometime before opening the memory of Stan going through the vending machine, because after that there is no indication that Soos wandered off from the group. This also means that Bill (as Soos) is the one to mention that Stan hides his arrest warrants under the rug in the gift shop. So he ALREADY KNOWS where the memory is.
· Yeh, he seems pretty upset when Gideon calls off the deal, but then, it’s been shown that Bill’s a liar and is pretty adept at mimicking the image and mannerisms of other people to get what he wants. Probably wouldn’t be too much of a stretch for him to fake rage if it meant accomplishing a particular end. Calms down pretty quick too and gives the Pines some incredibly vague but I guess helpful info on that approaching darkness business. So I guess he’s not too ticked off at them.
· Teleports right outta there, no sweat.
· Gideon steals the deed anyway and it turns out he really didn’t need to summon Bill after all. Bill probably knows this, so this whole episode may have been a ploy to weasel some kinda important favor out of Gideon or it was an excuse to mess with the Pines for some ulterior motive. Or, if we really wanna be meta, it was the just the creators establishing Bill’s character so that the audience could know that the stakes have been raised and the Pines are getting into stuff that’s out of their control.
That’s about as far as I can go on this one.
Kudos to genalovestoons for giving this guy a pretty bangin monster design.
I wonder if this’ll be shown in the format of another Guide to the Unexplained short, what with the scene being through the lens of a camcorder. Perhaps Bill’s being spat out of whatever void he’s been hanging out in since Dreamscapers or something
Bill as one of Dipper’s unexplained? Sounds intriguing!
More like Bill bursting in on one of them for a little surprise visit :) Or it could be any number of things. That’s sort of the problem with these screenshots since they don’t give very much context
Ahaaha I can see it now.
Dipper: So today we’re gonna talk about bigfoot-
Bill: HEY KIDS!
Dipper: OH FUCK NO
adioractive have you seen this?
WHAT DOES IT MEEEAN!?
I wonder if this is fake or not. It certainly looks legit, but Bill never showed up in Dipper’s Guide to the Unexplained… So hopefully this means he’ll be in another short?
I REMEMBER THIS!
But I think I saw a video somewhere explaining why it was a photoshop job. Like, Bill was cropped out of a Dreamscaperers screencap and the background was taken from Gideon Rises. The recorder markings also don’t match up with the ones on Dipper’s camera from the shorts. So it’s probably a fake :(
Aw thanks! It makes my day to hear that.
And I totally agree with you that Bill wasn’t really trying in Dreamscaperers. C’mon, he’s got freaky brain and telekinetic powers coupled with what appears to be at least a limited level of clairvoyance. There’s no way a couple of kids and a man…child could just waltz into someones mind, the one place where Bill is supposedly “the master” and kick him out unless he had some other reason for allowing it. Just look at how easily he ended the fight even after being blasted with lasers and kittens. Also, he took his time in recovering and relaying the code, something which should have been a relatively simple matter if he’s as knowledgeable as he claims. In fact, it almost seemed like he was baiting the twins and Soos throughout the entire episode, drawing them further into Stan’s mind. And then there’s that whole scene where Mabel shoots the memory out of his hand right before he gives the code to Gideon. He’s standing right out there in the open. When you don’t want to be apprehended, that’s not the most prudent action to take. You could chalk it up to cockiness or clumsiness, but I get the impression that Bill’s a little more clever than that. Losing the memory and the contract gave him a reason to directly fight the Pines. This in turn would provide the grounds for them to prove their ability to Bill or themselves or both. Kinda priming them for some upcoming task, “greasing the wheel”, if you will. That’s my two cents on the matter.
Exactly! I agree! And If you look at the pictures that flash up on Bill because he “knows everything”, you can see the prison that Gideon is eventually imprisoned in! He knew that Gideon was going to screw up sometime, so he probably just used him as an excuse to get into Stan’s mind (and test the Pines twins?). After rewatching Dreamscapers, It does strike me as more of a performance, sometimes. Bill being the good little minion even though he’s the one pulling the strings. Gah I just want to see Season 2 D: I wish Bill was in some of the shorts. Maybe he will be in the next set?
I’m so glad you caught the prison thing! Definitely makes Bill’s cooperation with Gideon seem a lot more like a facade, and it certainly begs the question as to what he was really after. Honestly, he was downright amiable after the fight, which to me indicates that whatever he lost in the contract with Gideon isn’t going to hinder whatever it is he’s working on. So like you said, he was probably testing the Pines or looking for other information in Stan’s mind.
And oh man I’d like to see Bill in some of the shorts (if we’re getting any more that is :/ ) but it looks like they’re being used more as filler than as pieces to further the plot, and despite the creepy comedic elements of his character, Bill’s personality carries a certain…gravity, I guess? The show likes to hint at his presence, but rarely reveals it outright, so I suspect that the Hirsch is gonna keep us in the dark about him a little while longer, and only bring him back when some serious plot development needs to happen. But maybe I’m wrong and we’ll get a wicked sweet Bill cameo in the near future. He did show up as one of the voices for that coloring contest.